Many novice players who have just played walkie talkies may have the question: Why is the communication distance marked on the walkie talkie different from the actual call distance? This is because walkie talkies are often affected by various factors such as the surrounding environment and their own accessories during actual use, resulting in a reduction in communication distance. So, let’s take a closer look at several important factors that affect the distance and effectiveness of walkie talkies!
The communication distance of the walkie talkie depends on factors such as antenna gain, height, transmitter output power, receiver sensitivity, electromagnetic environment, and the presence of obstacles.
- System parameters:
1) The stronger the output power of the transmitter, the larger the coverage range of the transmitted signal and the farther the communication distance. However, the transmission power should not be too high. Excessive transmission power not only consumes power and affects the lifespan of power amplifier components, but also has strong interference and affects the communication effect of others, and can also generate radiation pollution.
2) The higher the reception sensitivity of the communication machine, the farther the communication distance.
3) The gain of the antenna, when matched with the machine, usually results in an increase in antenna height and an increase in reception or transmission capability. The antenna used for handheld walkie talkies is generally a spiral antenna, which has a smaller bandwidth and gain compared to other types of antennas and is more susceptible to human influence.
- Environmental factors:
Environmental factors mainly include path, density of trees, electromagnetic interference of the environment, buildings, weather conditions, and terrain differences. These factors and other parameters directly affect the field strength and coverage range of the signal.
- Other influencing factors:
1) The battery level is low, and when the battery level is low, the call quality will deteriorate. In severe cases, there may be noise that affects normal communication.
2) Antenna matching, inconsistent frequency bands between the antenna and the machine, and mismatched antenna impedance can seriously affect the call distance. For users, it is important to tighten the antenna when replacing it. Additionally, antennas not provided by the manufacturer should not be used casually, and antennas that do not meet the machine frequency point should not be used.
- The quality of the sound
It mainly depends on the pre emphasis and de emphasis circuits, and there are currently more advanced speech processing circuits, such as the application of speech compression circuits and low-level expansion circuits, which have a good effect on fidelity speech.
- Safety precautions for using walkie talkies and routine maintenance of walkie talkies
1) When the walkie talkie is transmitting, keep the walkie talkie in a vertical position and keep the microphone 2.5 to 5 centimeters away from the mouth. When launching, the walkie talkie should be at least 2.5 centimeters away from the head or body. If the handheld walkie talkie is carried on the body, the antenna should be at least 2.5 centimeters away from the human body during transmission.
2) Do not turn on or off the device multiple times during use, and adjust the volume to suit your hearing.
3) On cars with airbags, do not place the walkie talkie within the range that may be involved when the airbag is deployed. If the walkie talkie is within the area that may be involved when the airbag is deployed, once the airbag rapidly deploys, the walkie talkie may cause great impact and injury to personnel inside the vehicle.
4) In potentially explosive atmospheric environments or occasions, unless the walkie talkie is specially certified, it must be turned off. In potentially explosive atmospheric environments, electric sparks can cause explosions or fires.
5) Do not replace or charge batteries in potentially explosive atmospheric environments. Installing and disassembling batteries may cause contact with electric sparks and lead to explosions.
6) Before approaching the blasting area and the area where the detonator is located, the walkie talkie must be turned off to avoid potential explosions.
7) After long-term use of the walkie talkie, pressing the button, control knob, and casing can easily become dirty. Please remove the control knob from the walkie talkie and clean the casing with neutral detergent (do not use strong corrosive chemicals) and a damp cloth. The use of chemicals such as detergent, alcohol, spray or petroleum preparation may cause damage to the surface and shell of the walkie talkie.
8) Handle the walkie talkie with care and do not carry the antenna or move the walkie talkie.
9) When accessories are not applicable, please cover them with dust covers (if equipped).